The proven DIY Probate Kit
+ Online application forms
+ Sample application
Step by Step online probate manual
Our Step-by-Step probate manual is online, where you can access it for 6 months.
It has a detailed Table of Contents and a search function that makes it easy to find your way around.
When you buy the Probate Kit on this website you can access it immediately. You just log in to your online account from the Members tab of our website.
The proven Probate application system for Victoria!
We have been publishing our Probate Kit for Victoria since the 1980's, so it reflects a wealth of experience. Our Kit Users love saving thousands of dollars. Two recent kit users commented:
1) "Just a quick note to thank you for a fantastic comprehensive kit, that has made my life so much easier!
Using your kit I was able to work through the process easily and obtain Probate within 2 weeks of starting the paperwork.
Easy to follow, great samples to compare my work to and even the registrar said my application looked good – ‘not the usual dogs breakfast’ that some people bring him when they act without a lawyer!
I will definitely recommend your kit to anyone I know who is in my unfortunate position.
Thanks for offering your service!"
2) "Probate kit was explained well and easy to use. Extremely glad I purchased your kit. Our probate went through smoothly and has been granted. Thank you" (DC)
The Probate Kit includes
- An online step by step explanation of how to apply for probate application. You get immediate access to that online material when you order our kit online.
- A set of application forms as an editable DOC file that you download.
- A sample application to follow.
Since the wording of probate applications varies with the number of executors / how many are applying etc. we include a sample application to make things easy. We have many samples, and you choose the one that suits your situation best. These samples are our "great simplifier", turning your application into a "follow your nose" affair.
The samples mentioned above are based on the most common range of situations (based on our decades of experience), in which:
- there is a Will (the signed and witnessed original) and
- an executor (one or more) with the right to apply is/are going to do so.
(Who can apply depends on the Will - to help you work that out here are some typical executor appointment clauses).
Our Probate Kit for Victoria gives you options:
- You can fill out your application on your computer (using the DOC file that comes with the kit), or
- You can order a set of blank paper forms that you can fill out by hand.
You do not fill out your application on our website. That means we never see your confidential information (which includes details of assets).
We stress that because so many websites contain "hidden code" that sends you spam you and exploits you commercially by selling your details to others - a practice that we consider unconscionable.
How long to get probate?
After getting our DIY probate kit you should be able to prepare an application in a few weeks. The limiting factor is often how long it takes to get a death certificate.
After you lodge your application (which you do "in person" at the Probate Office in Melbourne), they mail your Probate certificate back to you about a week after lodging (provided they don't have any questions they want answered. If they have questions they contact you).
After you get probate?
The Probate document is your authorisation to instruct asset holders to release or transfer assets, so you move on to the asset-release phase.
The Probate Kit gives some introductory information about asset release/transfer, but asset holder requirements vary (so you approach them for details).