What is Probate?
- A probate is a certificate that authorises you to claim assets owned by someone who has died. It looks like the picture above.
- To get Probate, the executor(s) named in the Will apply to the Probate Office. They lodge the application in Melbourne and the probate comes back in the mail.
- Our DIY Probate Kit shows you how to prepare an application for probate and lodge it yourself (without paying thousands to a lawyer)
- Applying for Probate yourself is usually the quickest way.
- There is no "probate duty" or "death duty" in Victoria
- If all assets are jointly owned, the surviving joint owner does not need probate to transfer ownership.